Search my blog

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Tragedy turned Miracle. Car Accident Updates.

As most of you know, my mom and sister where involved in a two-lane, high-speed, head-on collision here in Goodyear, Arizona.  First of all, I would like to say that they are doing 'ok'; in pain, bruised, scraped, unable to walk fluidly (my mom is having the most difficulty with this) and swollen, but they are alive, and I am we are ALL more than thankful for their return home from the hospital. My mom had a horrible day today and I hope that the intense pain she is in will cease soon and this accident can be a distant remembrance of the past.

I would never wish 'bad' on the man who is responsible for my family's pain... However, I am more than disgusted with him... He not only caused this horrific accident that could've left my mother and sister in a state which we all can assume, but he was also under the influence with a 2.49% bal (blood alcohol level)... Way above the legal limit- nevertheless to say, he was operating a vehicle.  I've decided to post a few pictures of our vehicle... The aftermath makes my body ache.



The vehicle they were driving saved their lives- top in its safety & crash ratings... Yes, the Mercedes is totaled, and my family is deeply saddened that this has occurred, but all-in-all, we are truly grateful to hold one another, talk to one another, and comfort one another.

You wouldn't believe all of the thoughts running through my mind as I sat on the SWA Flight from Austin to Phoenix. A drunken man? Head-on collision? My mom? My sister? How could this happen? Are they OK?

After the collision occurred, my mom and sister were rushed immediately by ambulance to the Trauma Center here in Phoenix. The driver of the vehicle (an illegal immigrant, may I add) that caused the accident was rushed to the Intensive Care Unit by Helicopter.  

Destroyed...











To those of you who get behind the wheel with even the slightest amount of alcohol in your system, please rethink that. The pain and suffering that was caused due to a careless mistake is avoidable if you think about the consequences of your actions.  The outcome of this accident could have been very different, and to think that this happened to my family just opened my eyes... This can happen to me, you, anyone. It isn't uncommon. 

This was a tragedy that turned into a miracle. Someone was watching over us, and this November, and always, I am more than truly grateful to have my family in my life. 

Please, I see the pain both my sister and mother are in, and I'd like to say just one last thing... 

Is a moment of 'bliss', drunkenness, 'happiness' and stupidity worth a lifetime of regret?  Please don't drink and drive...



It's just not worth it.



I wanted to thank all of you who have reached out to us and prayed for their safety and well-being. My boyfriend, Ryan, has been a tremendous support system for me all the way from Austin, and I couldn't be more grateful for such an amazing man.  

Dear friends and family, we are so blessed to have received the amount of love and prayer for the recovery of my mom and sister. Thank you so much! I know my mom wishes she could personally let every one of you know how she is and thank you all for your kindness, but her current condition doesn't allot for that quite yet.  

I hope this message finds you all in good health. We will keep you updated with their recovery. 

Noemi
#xoxo


8 comments:

  1. I hope that your mom and sister are on their way to a full recovery. Dealing with accidents like this not only affects the victims, but their loved ones as well. But unfortunate events like this always teach us valuable lessons. For drivers, think not only of your safety when you handle the wheel. Think of the people sitting behind your vehicle, the pedestrians on the sidewalks, and the other vehicles on the lane. Remember: handling a vehicle is a responsibility, and you are responsible for others’ safety.

    [Maggie Malone]

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Maggie Malone: Never better said! It's unfortunate that some people just never take responsibility for their actions fully knowing how detrimental it can be to others. I'm so fortunate to have my mom and sister here with me today. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry about the car accident, Noemihermling. What a total wreck. Judging from the pictures, it's a miracle to know that your mom and sister survived the accident. That's why I always remind my friends not to drive if they have drank alcohol. Anyway, I hope the car is insured. :)

    Stelle Courney

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, the drunk who caused the accident was an illegal immigrant who was driving under the influence in a vehicle that wasn't even registered to him. Lucky, right? >.< I have the feeling a personal injury attorney is going to be their best bet with this one. So disturbing.

      Delete
  4. It is a sad fact that drunk driving still happens despite the fact that numerous incidents have caused temporary and permanent losses. How I wish irresponsible drivers get revoked of their license to drive. By the way, do you have a lawyer you can consult about whether you can still go after personal injury claims once the driver gets out of the hospital? I pray that your mother and sister fully recover soon!

    Collin Deck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to the police, the driver of the vehicle that hit my family was an illegal immigrant who has already been deported back to Mexico. Great news. (not). Literally almost nothing they can do about it. The worst part is, I wouldn't be surprised if he has already crossed the border back into the United States with another fake identity and sitting at his house drinking more beers and driving in Arizona. He has certainly NOT served justice for his crime and pain he has caused. Horrible. Thanks for the wishes!

      Noemi

      Delete
    2. That was very unfortunate, Noemi. It would have been better if justice was served, and the culprit was punished for what he did. But the good part is your mom and your sister are coping better after the tragedy. It is indeed tough dealing with these incidents. Whether you are the victim or a relative, it can be stressful and sad. One way to help the victims cope is to stay close to them and give them the support they need. [Tracy Pierre]

      Delete
  5. The car clearly looks 100% totaled after the high-speed collision. Sorry to hear about your mom and sister. I hope they recovered well after the accident. Drunk driving can really be troublesome because it endangers both the driver of the car and the people around it. What’s worse about your situation is that there’s probably no way to get compensation for the damages on the car and the injuries your mom and sister got from the accident. Let’s hope the authorities find a way around this loophole and grant justice to the victims.


    @Grayson Ford

    ReplyDelete